Call Today for a Free Consultation: New York: 212-355-8000 212-257-3046 Westchester: 212-355-8000 212-257-3046 Long Island: 212-355-8000 212-257-3046

Work Injury FAQ

Q: What is OSHA and what do they have to do with my injury case?

A: OSHA, or the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, is a national agency that provides oversight, inspections, education and outreach to promote workplace safety. Learn more about OSHA and its role in workplace safety.

Q: What are my rights after a workplace injury?

A: You have a right to see a doctor of your choice, as long as that doctor is authorized by the state workers' compensation board. You have a right to be free from any retaliation for your injury claim at work. You have a right to work with an attorney who can protect your best interests and seek compensation on your behalf.

Q: What are my obligations?

A: You are required to report your injury to your employer within 30 days, or it could compromise your ability to get adequate compensation. You are also required to comply with the insurer's investigation and administration of your claim.

Q: Who will pay my medical bills after a work-related injury?

A: If you properly reported your injury and saw an authorized physician, your employer's workers' compensation insurer should pay your medical expenses in full. However, the details in your specific case may vary based on your employment status, the details of the accident and who is it at fault. If you have any concerns about getting compensated for medical treatment, speak with an attorney.

Q: Can I file a lawsuit against my employer while collecting workers' compensation?

A: In some specific cases, you may be able to file a lawsuit if your employer's negligence contributed to your accident. For example, New York Labor Law 240 allows workers who work on scaffolding and other high structures to sue negligent employers.

More Questions? Contact Us For A Free Consultation

If you have specific questions about your case, consider contacting our New York City law firm via email or calling 212-355-8000, 212-257-3046. Your first consultation with a lawyer is free and we can answer your questions while helping you understand your options.