Wrongful Death Attorneys in New York
Losing a loved one could be one of the toughest moments in your life. What makes the feeling worse is knowing that another person’s negligence and recklessness was the cause of it. While nothing will ease the pain of your loss, if another person was the cause of your family member’s unfortunate and wrongful death, they should be held accountable.
A wrongful death lawsuit allows the surviving family members to seek justice on behalf of a loved one who passed away due to an act of carelessness or violence. It is a civil court action that aims to determine how much the remaining family members deserve in order to recuperate for their loss.
In New York, the spouse, parent, or child can file a lawsuit. Not all deaths, even accidental deaths, qualify for a wrongful death suit, and according to the statute of limitations in New York, you have only up to two years from the death to file for a claim with a wrongful death attorney.
So it is important to have the best legal representation to help you navigate this tricky subject matter.
Common Causes for Wrongful Death Accidents
Data over the years has shown that the most common causes for Wrongful Death accidents in New York City include the following:
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Defective Product Accidents
- Slip and Fall Accidents
- Medical Malpractice Cases
- Construction Site Accidents
Types of Wrongful Death Damages
There are only two kinds of damages in a wrongful death claim in New York State.
They are: Economic Damages and Pain & Suffering Damages.
- Economic Damages – Economic damages include your loved one’s earnings, medical costs, funeral expenses, and even lost benefits. If your loved one has children, you can also compensate for loss of parental care and guidance. The amount will be based on the normal life expectancy of a person.
- Pain & Suffering Damages – Pain and suffering damages are to compensate the family of the deceased for the pain and discomfort their loved one suffered. In New York State, there’s no limit for this amount.
Why Do You Need a Wrongful Death Attorney?
When seeking justice and compensation for the death of a loved one, it is important to hire a wrongful death attorney that is experienced and knowledgeable.
At Pulvers, Pulvers & Thompson our New York lawyers will aggressively represent you and treat you as part of our family.
Our firm has been practicing for more than 70 years with over 100 years of combined experience. We provide a free consultation to individuals and families seeking wrongful death representation in New York.
Accomplished Representation in
Wrongful Death Lawsuits
Whatever the cause, you need an attorney to properly represent you and your needs. Our New York personal injury attorneys have secured millions in compensation for wrongful death victims throughout New York.